Home > Route Selection > US 1 > History > Maryland
Route History for US 1 in Maryland
- In 1926, the route through Maryland was paved but not numbered. The road followed basically the same route US 1 follows today, although the route of what is now called Business US 1 was followed through Bel Air. Just north of Washington, DC, the route followed Baltimore Avenue and Bladensburg Road into Washington.
- By 1928, the route had been numbered as US 1.
- Between 1953 and 1955, the Baltimore Washington Expressway (now called the Gladys Spellman Parkway) was completed, replacing US 1 as a major through route between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
- By 1964, US 1 had been rerouted to its current path just north of Washington, DC.
- Between 1965 and 1970, US 1 was rerouted to its present route around Bel Air.
- By 1974, I 95 was completed between Baltimore and Washington, DC, further reducing US 1's role as a major through route.
Key to Abbreviations for Route Numbers:
- US - US Highway
- I - Interstate Highway (Eisenhower Interstate System)
External websites of interest:
- Additional historical information about US 1 in Maryland can be found on the MD Roads website.
Welcome Page | Route Selection | US 1 Main Page | History of US 1 | US 1 History in Pennsylvania | US 1 History in Washington DC | Site Map
If you have any questions / comments / corrections for this website or find a broken link, please e-mail me.
Copyright 2000-2010 by Robert Mortell